Call us 0800 0523 555

Contact Us

*COVID-19 update: Many of our shops and offices are now open for face to face meetings with strict social distancing measures in place. We also offer telephone and video consultations for all new clients in order to discuss your needs. Find the latest COVID-19 information available for your business.

HMRC registration for filing tax returns

I have just received my Unique Taxpayer Reference as I need to file a tax return this year. What is the next step to filing my tax return?    

2010/11 tax returns may be submitted on paper, but the deadline of 31 October has already passed for paper returns. Subsequent 2010/11 tax returns must be filed online in order to avoid an automatic filing penalty of £100.

Therefore, you will now need to register for HM Revenue & Customs’ Online Services and obtain an Activation Code. Please note, it can take seven working days to receive your Activation Code, which means you must register by 21 January 2012 in order to obtain your Code in time for the filing deadline of 31 January 2012.

Alternatively, an accountant can file your tax return for you provided they use specific software- even if you haven’t completed the official form to authorise them to deal with your affairs.

Using an accountant can save you tax, stress and time. If you would like to speak with your local TaxAssist Accountant, please feel free to contact us to arrange a meeting.

Call us today to make an appointment with your local office

Consultations available by telephone or video

0800 0523 555

Contact Us