Call us 0800 0523 555

Contact Us

*COVID-19 update: Many of our shops and offices are now open for face to face meetings with strict social distancing measures in place. We also offer telephone and video consultations for all new clients in order to discuss your needs. Find the latest COVID-19 information available for your business.

High Income Child Benefit Charge - Avoiding a tax return

My tax affairs are fairly straight forward, as my only source of income is my salary which is taxed at source by my employer. However, my partner receives Tax Credits and Benefits for our two young children and it looks like I may be affected by this High Income Child Benefit Charge. Is there any way I can avoid the completion of a tax return? I have never had to do one before.  

To make things a little simpler, HM Revenue & Customs (HMRC) allow you to have the Charge collected via your tax code. This means the deductions of tax that your employer makes from you each pay period will be larger, but avoids the need for having to pay it to HMRC in one lump via the Self Assessment system. However, this does not negate the requirement for a tax return. It is merely an easier way to pay the Charge.

The only way you can avoid the requirement for a tax return if the High Income Child Benefit Charge applies to you, is to forfeit your Child Benefit and opt to no longer receive it. As it is your partner that receives it, they will have to do this - it cannot be done by you.

If you would like any advice about Tax Credits or assistance with completing your tax return, please do not hesitate to contact your local TaxAssist Accountants office.

Call us today to make an appointment with your local office

Consultations available by telephone or video

0800 0523 555

Contact Us