Call us 0800 0523 555

Contact Us

*COVID-19 update: Many of our shops and offices are now open for face to face meetings with strict social distancing measures in place. We also offer telephone and video consultations for all new clients in order to discuss your needs. Find the latest COVID-19 information available for your business.

Get Paid To Go To College!

My sixteen-year-old son is starting college this month and claims some of his older friends were paid an allowance from the Government for continuing their studies. Would my son be eligible?

Your son is probably referring to the Education Maintenance Allowance (EMA) - a scheme which financially incentivises students to stay in full time education. If your son turned 16, 17 or 18 in the year up to 31 August 2009, and is enrolled on a course in England which is a full time course at college or school, or a LSC funded diploma or entry to employment course which involves a minimum of twelve hours per week, he can claim the allowance.

The amount you receive depends on your household income (before tax) in the 2008/09 financial year.

Income up to £20,817 per annum receive £30 per week
Income from £20,818 - £25,521 per annum receive £20 per week
Income from £25,522 - £30,810 per annum / £10 per week

The amount is paid direct to your sons bank account and for more information on how to claim the allowance visit or speak to your accountant.

Call us today to make an appointment with your local office

Consultations available by telephone or video

0800 0523 555

Contact Us