Call us 0800 0523 555

Contact Us

*COVID-19 update: Many of our shops and offices are now open for face to face meetings with strict social distancing measures in place. We also offer telephone and video consultations for all new clients in order to discuss your needs. Find the latest COVID-19 information available for your business.

Does my P11D need to go on my tax return?

I am in employment but I also have some rental income so I need to complete a tax return. Does my P11D need to go on my tax return? 

As an employee or director, you may receive additional benefits from your employer which are in addition to your salary or wages. These may include health insurance, company cars and interest-free loans.

These so-called ‘benefits in kind’ may be taxable, in which case the value of the benefit needs to be reported to HM Revenue & Customs (HMRC) by your employer on form P11D at the end of the tax year or via the payroll.

To avoid receiving a big tax bill, HMRC will normally look to adjust your tax code so that your tax bill for your benefit is collected throughout the year from your wages.

Although your benefit has been reported to HMRC and you are likely to have paid some or all the tax on it, you will still be required to enter the details from your P11D onto your self-assessment tax return. A tax return should give a complete picture of your tax affairs, and therefore include all your taxable income, allowances, deductions and reliefs. Any tax you have paid at source (such as the PAYE on your wages) is considered and knocked-off your eventual bill; meaning you don’t get taxed twice on your wages and benefits in kind.

If you don’t include the figures from your P11D, it will look like you have overpaid tax because your PAYE will be higher than expected and you may be incorrectly refunded for the tax on your benefit in kind.

Your local TaxAssist Accountant would be happy to prepare your tax return for you.

Call us today to make an appointment with your local office

Consultations available by telephone or video

0800 0523 555

Contact Us