Call us 0800 0523 555

Contact Us

*COVID-19 update: Many of our shops and offices are now open for face to face meetings with strict social distancing measures in place. We also offer telephone and video consultations for all new clients in order to discuss your needs. Find the latest COVID-19 information available for your business.

Do I pass Class 2 NI if I'm employed and self employed?

I have a full-time job but I also have a small business of my own. Therefore, I pay Class 2 NI contributions. But as I am paying my ‘stamp’ on my employment income, do I have to continue paying Class 2 as well?  

Class 2 contributions count towards:

  • Incapacity Benefit/Employment and Support Allowance
  • Basic State Pension
  • Bereavement benefits
  • Maternity Allowance

I’m afraid you do have to pay Class 2 NI; despite the fact you are paying Class 1 on your employment income. However, if your profits are deemed to be ‘small’ (currently £5,315), you may be eligible for an exception from paying Class 2 NI.

If you are only liable for Class 2 contributions, you should consider your position carefully before applying for an exception.

If you would like to discuss your personal tax affairs in more detail, please feel free to contact your local TaxAssist Accountant.

Call us today to make an appointment with your local office

Consultations available by telephone or video

0800 0523 555

Contact Us