Call us 0800 0523 555

Contact Us

*COVID-19 update: Many of our shops and offices are now open for face to face meetings with strict social distancing measures in place. We also offer telephone and video consultations for all new clients in order to discuss your needs. Find the latest COVID-19 information available for your business.

Declaring Income Earned Offshore

I own a number of investments in Jersey and a holiday home which I rent out in Spain. As these are located abroad, I previously assumed I do not need to disclose the income on my UK tax return, but I am now worried after reading a recent article regarding offshore disclosures?

The short answer is that "yes" you do need to disclose this income. Assuming that you are resident and domiciled in the UK, all of your worldwide income – including any interest earned through offshore accounts – must be reported to HM Revenue & Customs (HMRC) on your tax return. 

UK resident and domiciled taxpayers are often confused about the advantages of having an offshore account, but the only benefit is usually that these accounts offer a slightly higher rate of return than accounts offered in the UK and the interest is paid gross. It doesn’t remove the fact that you still have to pay UK income tax on the interest you received.

The article you have read relates to a new disclosure initiative issued by HMRC that will allow taxpayers to disclose details of unpaid tax linked to offshore accounts or assets and receive a favourable penalty rate of 10% penalty. The New  Disclosure Opportunity (NDO) will run from 1st September 2009 to 12th March 2010. If you choose not to take this opportunity and are subsequently found to have undeclared tax liabilities, you may face a penalty of 30% or more.

Call us today to make an appointment with your local office

Consultations available by telephone or video

0800 0523 555

Contact Us