Call us 0800 0523 555

Contact Us

*COVID-19 update: Many of our shops and offices are now open for face to face meetings with strict social distancing measures in place. We also offer telephone and video consultations for all new clients in order to discuss your needs. Find the latest COVID-19 information available for your business.

Claiming a tax refund

I left my job at the start of the year and I still haven’t found a new job yet. Am I eligible for a tax refund?  

Based on the information you’ve provided, it is difficult to say with certainty whether you’re entitled to a tax refund. But if you think you've paid too much tax, you can make a tax refund claim from HM Revenue & Customs (HMRC) if any of the following applies:

  • you've been unemployed for at least four weeks
  • you stopped working because you've retired and you're not getting a pension from your old employer
  • you've returned to studying

You can claim a tax refund by filling in form P50 - Claiming tax back when you have stopped working, which is available online at Send the form to HMRC, together with form P45, Parts 2 and 3 - and keep Part 1A for your own records.

HMRC will send you any tax refund you're entitled to by post. They'll also send you a new form P45, Parts 1A, 2 and 3, if necessary.

Call us today to make an appointment with your local office

Consultations available by telephone or video

0800 0523 555

Contact Us