Call us 0800 0523 555

Contact Us

*COVID-19 update: Many of our shops and offices are now open for face to face meetings with strict social distancing measures in place. We also offer telephone and video consultations for all new clients in order to discuss your needs. Find the latest COVID-19 information available for your business.

Cannot pay tax bill

I’m self employed and I’ve only just prepared my tax return. As a result, I’ve only just found out that I haven’t put enough aside for my tax liability. What should I do- should I put off filing my return until I have the money for my tax bill?

Your balancing payment for this year (2014/15) and if applicable, an instalment for next year (2015/16) are due by 31stJanuary 2016, together with your tax return.

If you are struggling to pay your tax, you should call HM Revenue & Customs’ (HMRC) Business Payment Support Service (BPSS). HMRC will ask you probing questions about the business and your cashflow, to ascertain why you can’t pay your tax. If they think you genuinely cannot pay your tax they may grant you an extension to settle your taxes in or agree a payment plan. However, they will not reduce the amount outstanding and they will still charge you interest.

Even though you can’t afford to pay your tax, you must make sure you still file your return before 31st January 2016. Otherwise, you will be charged an automatic late filing penalty of £100 and the penalties will mount up the longer the delay in filing the tax return. Furthermore, the BPSS will only consider making arrangements where the tax is not yet overdue- so do not leave it too long to speak with them.

If you don’t feel confident in negotiating with HMRC, feel free to contact your local TaxAssist Accountant who would be happy to liaise with HMRC on your behalf.

Call us today to make an appointment with your local office

Consultations available by telephone or video

0800 0523 555

Contact Us