Call us 0800 0523 555

Contact Us

*COVID-19 update: Many of our shops and offices are now open for face to face meetings with strict social distancing measures in place. We also offer telephone and video consultations for all new clients in order to discuss your needs. Find the latest COVID-19 information available for your business.

Can I get some tax back now?

I am a subcontractor and I get 20% tax taken from my receipts by contractors. But I haven’t done any work for the last couple of months. Is there any way I can get some of my tax back now?

No. The only way for you to get your tax back is to wait until the tax year has passed, and then submit your tax return. You should enter all of your income- gross of the tax deducted. Your income tax liability will then be calculated. But all of the tax deducted during the tax year under the CIS scheme, will be offset against your liability.

If there are gaps in your income or it is low, you may be due a refund.

In the long term, you may be eligible to receive your payments gross from contractors. But there are criteria to meet, for example regarding the size, history and make-up of the business.

If you would like to discuss the construction scheme in more detail, please feel free to contact your local TaxAssist Accountant.

Call us today to make an appointment with your local office

Consultations available by telephone or video

0800 0523 555

Contact Us