Call us 0800 0523 555

Contact Us

*COVID-19 update: Many of our shops and offices are now open for face to face meetings with strict social distancing measures in place. We also offer telephone and video consultations for all new clients in order to discuss your needs. Find the latest COVID-19 information available for your business.

Bad debt adjustments

I have recently found out that one of my customers has been declared bankrupt. Unfortunately, I invoiced them four months ago for £1,000 plus VAT of £175 and this is still outstanding at my year end of 31 December 2010, so there is a good chance I won’t receive this and will need to write it off. How do I account for this in my accounts and what income tax relief can I get? And what do I do about the VAT?

As the debt is only possibly irrecoverable at this stage you may only ‘provide’ for the debt. You will therefore reduce the amounts owing to you at 31 December by £1175.

For income tax purposes, the doubtful debt expense of £1,000 is allowable because it is specific and therefore written off in the profit and loss account.

Provided that you have paid the VAT over to HMRC, you can reclaim VAT that you paid and which you have not received from the customer, provided that either the Official Receiver has notified you that no monies will be forthcoming or the debt becomes six months old or more.

You add the amount of VAT you are reclaiming to the amount of VAT you are reclaiming on your purchases (input tax) and put the total figure in Box 4 of your VAT Return.

If you cash account for VAT, you will never have paid the VAT over to HMRC and therefore, you are not due a refund from HMRC. You will merely need to do the accounting adjustment above.

If you would like more information of the treatment of bad debts, please contact your local TaxAssist Accountant.

Call us today to make an appointment with your local office

Consultations available by telephone or video

0800 0523 555

Contact Us