Call us 0800 0523 555

Contact Us

*COVID-19 update: Many of our shops and offices are now open for face to face meetings with strict social distancing measures in place. We also offer telephone and video consultations for all new clients in order to discuss your needs. Find the latest COVID-19 information available for your business.

Are My Subscriptions Allowable for Tax

I am employed as a nurse with the NHS and pay a number of annual subscriptions to professional bodies such as the Royal College of Nursing. Am I entitled to tax relief on these payments?

If you are employed, you are entitled to claim a deduction for costs you have incurred that relate “wholly, exclusively and necessarily” to your employment, which have not been reimbursed by your employer.

Annual subscriptions paid to professional bodies will be allowable provided they are paid to a body approved by HM Revenue & Customs. The activities of the body must directly benefit, or concern the profession practiced by the employee in the performance of their duties of employment.

HM Revenue & Customs publish a list of the approved bodies to which they allow tax relief for annual subscriptions (list 3 is available on the  website). The Royal College of Nursing is on the list, together with a number of other bodies relating to your profession, so if you have not been reimbursed in full by your employer you should speak to your local TaxAssist Accountant to discuss the submission of a claim. You are also entitled to make a claim for up to 6 tax years previous if these also have not been reimbursed.

Call us today to make an appointment with your local office

Consultations available by telephone or video

0800 0523 555

Contact Us