Call us 0800 0523 555

Contact Us

*COVID-19 update: Many of our shops and offices are now open for face to face meetings with strict social distancing measures in place. We also offer telephone and video consultations for all new clients in order to discuss your needs. Find the latest COVID-19 information available for your business.

Amending a tax return

I rushed the preparation of my 2009/10 tax return in order to file it on time, but I have just realised that I missed off my rental accounts! Can I revise my tax return and will I incur any fines for doing this?

If you make a mistake on your tax return, you've normally got 12 months from 31 January after the end of the tax year to correct it.

You may notify HMRC in the form of a letter to your Tax Office, detailing the omissions and which page numbers and boxes are affected. Or you may find it easier to write to them and enclose an amended return or just the particular pages that have changed.

Alternatively, if you filed your return online with HMRC, you may make any alterations online.

No penalties for late filing will be applicable, but please be aware that if the amendment results in additional tax to pay, you will be charged interest from the due date of payment. As 28 February has also now passed, you will be liable to a 5% surcharge on any unpaid tax. And a second 5% surcharge will apply from 31 July 2011 if it continues to remain outstanding at that point.

If you would like any assistance with this and liaising with HMRC, please feel free to contact your local TaxAssist Accountant.

Call us today to make an appointment with your local office

Consultations available by telephone or video

0800 0523 555

Contact Us