Call us 0800 0523 555

Contact Us

*COVID-19 update: Many of our shops and offices are now open for face to face meetings with strict social distancing measures in place. We also offer telephone and video consultations for all new clients in order to discuss your needs. Find the latest COVID-19 information available for your business.

Advising of Rental Property Income

I started renting out a property a number of years ago, and due to the fall in interest rates have recently made a profit. In previous years I have always incurred losses. I haven’t ever completed a tax return as I am in PAYE employment. How should I notify the HMRC of this additional income?

If a taxpayer receives any taxable income in a tax year of which HM Revenue & Customs is unaware, then they have a legal duty to “notify of chargeability” to tax by 5 October following the end of the tax year in which the income was received.

The HMRC recently published guidance explaining that a lot of straightforward work can be dealt with over the phone to avoid the administrative burden of completing a tax return.

They explained that clients with net property income (that is income after expenses incurred) of £2,500 can use this facility, as they will make an adjustment through your PAYE code to recover the tax due. For more complicated matters they insist on receiving notification in writing. 

You mentioned that you made a loss on the property in previous years. Even though you have not been asked to fill out a tax return, you should still notify HMRC of any losses, as you can offset these losses now that you have made a profit from the rental business.

Call us today to make an appointment with your local office

Consultations available by telephone or video

0800 0523 555

Contact Us