Contact Us

If you earned less than £1,000 in self-employment income across the year, you may be able to make use of the Trading Allowance. If your annual gross trading income is £1,000 or less, you may not need to tell HMRC, declare the income on a tax return or pay tax on it.

If your income is more than that, you will need to pay tax on it. Normally, newly self employed people would need to register as self-employed. But as you were only temporarily self-employed, I would recommend you instead phone HMRC. If you can give them the dates of your self employment and detail what income you earned, they may be prepared to collect the tax through your tax code with your current job. This would avoid you registering and the need for a tax return and mean that you pay your tax bill throughout the year; rather than leaving it until January.

Date published 9 Oct 2018

This article is intended to inform rather than advise and is based on legislation and practice at the time. Taxpayer’s circumstances do vary and if you feel that the information provided is beneficial it is important that you contact us before implementation. If you take, or do not take action as a result of reading this article, before receiving our written endorsement, we will accept no responsibility for any financial loss incurred.


Other pages within this section:

Previous Next

Sign up for our newsletter

Receive important tax news suitable for business owners and self-employed professionals.

Choose the right accounting firm for you

Running your own business can be challenging so why not let TaxAssist Accountants manage your tax, accounting, bookkeeping and payroll needs? If you are not receiving the service you deserve from your accountant, then perhaps it’s time to make the switch?

Local business focus icon

Local business focus

We specialise in supporting independent businesses and work with over 78,217 clients. Each TaxAssist Accountant runs their own business, and are passionate about supporting you.

Come and meet us icon

Come and meet us

We enjoy talking to business owners and self-employed professionals who are looking to get the most out of their accountant. You can visit us at any of our 406 locations, meet with us online through video call software, or talk to us by telephone.

Switching is simple icon

Switching is simple

Changing accountants is easier than you might think. There are no tax implications and you can switch at any time in the year and our team will guide you through the process for a smooth transition.

See how TaxAssist Accountants can help you with a free, no obligation consultation

0800 0523 555

Or contact us