How do I register to file a tax return?

I have just received my Unique Taxpayer Reference (UTR) as I need to file a tax return this year. What is the next step to filing my tax return?   

1st January 2020

Self-assessment tax returns for 218/19 may be submitted on paper, but the deadline of 31st October has already passed for paper returns. Subsequent 2018/19 tax returns must be filed online in order to avoid an automatic filing penalty of £100.

Therefore, you will now need to register for HM Revenue and Customs’ Online Services and obtain an Activation Code. Please note, it can take seven working days to receive your Activation Code, which means you must register by 21st January 2020 in order to obtain your Code in time for the filing deadline of 31st January 2020.

Alternatively, an accountant can file your tax return for you provided they use specific software - even if you haven’t completed the official form to authorise them to deal with your affairs. They’ll need your Unique Taxpayer Reference (UTR), but you don’t need to have registered for Online Services.

Using an accountant can save you tax, stress and time. Feel free to contact us and we will be happy to liaise with HMRC on your behalf. Call 0800 0523 555 or enquire online here.

By Samantha Skyring FCCA

Disclaimer: The information provided is based on current guidance (at date of publication) from HMRC and may be subject to change. Any advice shared here is intended to inform rather than advise. Taxpayer's circumstances do vary and if you feel that the information provided is beneficial it is important that you contact us before implementation. If you take, or do not take action as a result of reading this information, before receiving our written endorsement, we will accept no responsibility for any financial loss incurred.

Call us today to make an appointment at your local office

0800 0523 555

Or submit an enquiry