To be able to pay any tax through your PAYE code the following need to apply:
- You have submitted either your paper return to HMRC by 31st October or your online return by 30th December
- You have less than £3,000 tax to pay
- You already pay tax through PAYE which maybe as an employee or by a company pension
If you don’t meet the three criteria you will not be eligible to have the tax collected through your PAYE code. Other reasons why you would not be able to have the tax collected in this way are:-
- You would be paying more than 50% of your PAYE income in tax
- You would end up paying more than twice as much tax as you normally would
- You do not have enough income through PAYE to collect it
If your tax is able to be collected via your PAYE code then it will be taken from your salary or pension, split over the following 12 months.
If you think this is something you would like to be able to do then please contact us today, we can assess your situation and if eligible we can complete your tax return before the deadline. Please contact us on 0800 0523 555 our simple online contact form to arrange a free initial consultation.
Date published 4 Oct 2019 | Last updated 18 Nov 2021This article is intended to inform rather than advise and is based on legislation and practice at the time. Taxpayer’s circumstances do vary and if you feel that the information provided is beneficial it is important that you contact us before implementation. If you take, or do not take action as a result of reading this article, before receiving our written endorsement, we will accept no responsibility for any financial loss incurred.