Contact Us

For the tax year 2023/24 (6th April 2023 to 5th April 2024) the threshold for individuals only taxed through PAYE changed. 

Previously, those earning more than £100,000 needed to complete a tax return, but from the year 2023/24 this was changed to £150,000. Where you previously had to complete a tax return under HMRC rules, you now do not need to. 

If you have received savings and/or dividend income, you may need to seek advice as you may have exceeded the allowances for these income and tax may be payable. Banks do communicate to HMRC the interest an individual earns, and HMRC will then adjust your PAYE tax code to collect the tax. Ask your accountant if you are not sure if your tax code is correct. 

If there is a delay in HMRC issuing the adjustment, they will instead send a tax demand notice to the individual. 

HMRC does not receive information about dividend income so if this exceeds your dividend allowance, you should notify HMRC through your personal tax account or call them. 

If you have other income that has not been taxed, i.e. property, side hustle or self-employment, or you are in receipt of child benefit you may still need to complete a tax return. 

From 6th April 2024, individuals who have all their earnings taxed through PAYE will not be required to file a tax return, regardless of the level of their earnings. 

We can help you file your self-assessment tax return 

If you would like advice on completing your tax return, we can help. We offer a range of tax advice and are well-versed in assisting with tax returns, tax code checks and tax planning. For a free initial consultation, call us today on 0800 0523 555 or drop us a line using our online enquiry form

Date published 15 May 2024

This article is intended to inform rather than advise and is based on legislation and practice at the time. Taxpayer’s circumstances do vary and if you feel that the information provided is beneficial it is important that you contact us before implementation. If you take, or do not take action as a result of reading this article, before receiving our written endorsement, we will accept no responsibility for any financial loss incurred.

Catherine Heinen, FCCA

Catherine is a Technical Content Writer at TaxAssist Accountants, and a qualified accountant. With experience working at two accountancy practices in the UK top 50 accountancy firms according to Accountancy Age, Catherine has significant experience in accounts, tax returns and advising clients. Catherine ensures businesses, business owners and individuals are kept up to date and informed by providing concise and informative technical material.

Choose the right accounting firm for you

Running your own business can be challenging so why not let TaxAssist Accountants manage your tax, accounting, bookkeeping and payroll needs? If you are not receiving the service you deserve from your accountant, then perhaps it’s time to make the switch?

Local business focus icon

Local business focus

We specialise in supporting independent businesses and work with 80,423 clients. Each TaxAssist Accountant runs their own business, and are passionate about supporting you.

Come and meet us icon

Come and meet us

We enjoy talking to business owners and self-employed professionals who are looking to get the most out of their accountant. You can visit us at any of our 409 locations, meet with us online through video call software, or talk to us by telephone.

Switching is simple icon

Switching is simple

Changing accountants is easier than you might think. There are no tax implications and you can switch at any time in the year and our team will guide you through the process for a smooth transition.

See how TaxAssist Accountants can help you with a free, no obligation consultation

0800 0523 555

Or contact us