Q&A: How to pay HMRC

Date Published: 11th February 2013

I have lost the payslip I need to pay HMRC my tax. What should I do?

Firstly, interest will be accruing on a daily basis on the outstanding amount and late payment penalties will start to apply once the debt is over 30 days old. So you should settle the tax as soon as possible.

There are a variety of ways to pay HM Revenue & Customs (HMRC) including:

  • Direct Debit
  • Online using a debit/ credit card
  • Faster Payments by online/ telephone/ CHAPS
  • At the bank using a Bank Giro slip
  • At the Post Office
  • By post

Whichever option you go for, make sure you quote your Unique Taxpayer’s Reference (UTR) too- a ten-digit reference that you should find on most correspondence from HMRC.

For more information on payment options, visit the Department’s website www.hmrc.gov.uk.

By Jo Nockels Google+ Profile

Back to Questions And Answers

Disclaimer: Advice shared in this blog is intended to inform rather than advise. Taxpayer's circumstances do vary and if you feel that the information provided is beneficial it is important that you contact us before implementation. If you take, or do not take action as a result of reading this forum, before receiving our written endorsement, we will accept no responsibility for any financial loss incurred.

Arrange a FREE initial consultation

0800 0523 555

Make an enquiry

How we can help

Call us today on 0800 0523 555 or complete our enquiry form in order to book a FREE initial consultation